Organized- March 15, 1935
Incorporated- January 10, 1936
Current Members- 80
Services- Firefighting, Emergency Medical Services, Heavy Rescue, Marine Fire and Rescue,
The North Point- Edgemere VFD was organized on March 15, 1935 by a group of 15 citizens to protect the North Point Peninsula. The first station was located at 7103 North Point Road in a single door garage. The original area protected was 20 sq. miles and served 6,000 families. The first piece of apparatus was a 1914 American LaFrance that was purchased from Baltimore County. Our original firefighter training was given by firefighters from the Dundalk fire station. The first new engine purchased was a 1947 Auto Car. In 1952 the station was moved to its current location at 7500 North Point Road. This new location offered a new building that was bigger and gave us room to expand.
In 1956 a 1952 White Rescue Truck was acquired from the Baltimore Salvage Corps which began the rescue business for the company. We became a two engine company in 1964 with the purchase of a 1964 International engine. In 1980 the company began water rescue service with the purchase of a 16’ Star Craft boat.
In 2000, the station was completely rebuilt and now occupies 20,000 sq. feet of equipment bays, offices and a rental hall. The services provided to the community out of this location consist of firefighting, emergency medical services, heavy rescue, marine firefighting and rescue. We average approximately 650-700 calls for service each year and remain all volunteer.
The Ladies Auxiliary of the North Point- Edgemere Volunteer Fire Department was established May 6, 1941. Their meeting was held in the fire station. It was written that their purpose would be to aid the firemen in the department as much as possible. The first Auxiliary President was Mrs. M. Strasbaugh. The dues were 10 cents per month. Each meeting was started with a prayer and the pledge to the flag, which is still done at every meeting. Our Auxiliary supports the fire department and various charities throughout the year by holding fundraisers such as chicken BBQ’s, fish fries, breakfast with Santa, Basket Bingos, raffles and our biggest fundraiser our annual carnival. The Auxiliary currently has 25 members, two of which have been members for over fifty years. Mrs. Mary Riegel joined the Auxiliary in 1951 and Mrs. Mildred Kottraba joined the Auxiliary in 1953. Both of these ladies remain active in the Auxiliary.